Bilder från resan till
The 5th International Conference
on the Black Bee
(Apis m. mellifera) in Wierzba , Poland in September 2-6 2002.
Övriga bilder från konferensen finns på SICAMM's sida.
Visit at the Bialowieza Forest with Bison bonasus and Konki
Polski (European bison and a tarpan-like native horse)
Text på engelska + bilder.
The black bee reserve in the
. Black bees from the Augustow disrtict. / Black bees, Apis mellifera mellifera, in the district of Augustow.
. Besök hos en vänlig gammal biodlare. / Visiting a friendly beekeeper .
Right: Gamla bistockar (Museum i Bialowieza ) / Old bee logs in museum of Bialowieza
. Fika / Time for a coffee break
2: Gitte (Yvonne) i samtal med Assegid från Etiopien / Gitte Malmgren, Sweden in discussion with Dr. Assegid from Etiopia.
. Div personer som fikar och diskuterar. / Some precipitants discussing bees when taking a coffee break
Besök i klostret i WIGRY under fredagen. Text på engelska + bilder.
Här börjar bilderna från den 'extra' dag för turistande Josef Stark, Ingvar och Lahja Pettersson och Bosse och Gitte Malmgren fick när färjan tillbaka till Nynäshamn inte gick lördagar i september.
Denna mycket lokala linfärja gick från spetsen av den udde Wierzba
In the woods of Gierłoż was Hitler's headquater called the Sinister Wolf's Lair
Gierloz was a stronghold of Hitler (called "Wolfschanze") during World War II
where huge bunkers destroyed by Germans, but still impressive, can be seen. It
is place where an attempt to assasinate Hitler by baron von Stauffenberg took
In the woods of Gierłoż (8 km east of Kętrzyn) in the war time there was Hitler's headquater called the Sinister Wolf's Lair. It consisted of a group of 80 bunkers built in the years 1940-1944. Buildings had a good camouflage with nets holding imitationfoliage, the colour of which was changed from season to season. Hitler used this quaters from 24.06.1941 to 20.11.1944. In July 1944 Colonel Claus v. Stauffenberg made his unsuccessful attempt on Hitler's life. The headquater of Hitler was destroyed in January 1945. The tourists can visit the ruins of those bunkers.
This is what Hitler's war-time headquarters was called. It layies in the woods of Gierloz, 8 km. East of Ketrzyn. It consisted of a group of 80 strong bunkers built in the years 1940-44, a small railway station and an airfield; it had a direct telephone link with Berlin. In eight of the bunkers the thickness of the walls was from 1 to 6 m., and the thickness of the roof from 6 to 8 m. Hitler's headquarters was exceptionally carefully guarded. It was surrounded by a belt of minefields, with anti-aircraft gun emplacements; the buildings were camouflaged with nets holding imitation foliage, the colour of which was changed from season to season. Hitler used this headquarters from 24 June 1941 to 20 November 1944, although he was not of course constantly in residence there. It was here that on 20 July 1944 Colonel Claus v. Stauffenberg made his unsuccessful attempt on Hitler's life. "The Wolf's Lair" was destroyed by the German army as it withdrew in late January 1945. The area which housed Hitler's headquarters, with the ruins of the bunkers, can be visited by tourists.
Gierłoż, Święta Lipka Heliga Lindens kloster och kyrka.
To town Ketrzyn is an important industrial centre with several historic buildings (a Gothic church, and a Gothic castle which today houses a museum). The village of Swieta Lipka lies 6 km. to the South-west of Ketrzyn. Here there is a monastery complex which includes the Baroque church of the Blessed Virgin Mary dating from the 17th century, and considered to be one of the best examples of sacral architecture in Northern Poland. The richly furnished interior houses the works of many outstanding artists. Organ concerts are organised in this church. Swieta Lipka is a religious centre and a place of pilgrimage.
Święta Lipka is the village of the south-west from Kętrzyn (ca 6 km). Here is the unique baroque church of the Blessed Virgin Mary from 17th c. In this church are organised organ concerts. That village is a religious centre and the place of pilgrimages.
Holy Linden is a beautiful baroque jezuite church and monastery located in the middle of woods with a magnificent orgel.
In the dungeon of the Kętrzyn Castle, a sentenced to death criminal besought the Holy Virgin for help. The Holy Virgin appeared in his dungeon on the night before execution. She gave him some wood and a chisel and told him to carve her figure which he was to show the jury on the next day. The criminal acted as he was told: although he could not carve he made an excellent statuette. The judges , who thought that was a God’s sign, spared his life. The criminal put the statuette on the first linden by the road from Kętrzyn to Reszel. The statuette became famous for its wonders in a very short time. People decided to move it to the church in Kętrzyn but the statuette twice returned on the linden by itself. That was a sign that the Holy Virgin chose the place and people decided to build a chapel there. That’s what the legend says about the begining of Święta Lipka. The historians think that the cult of that place started in the 13C. In the 15 C a chapel was built here which was visited by the Great Master of the Teutonic Order, Albrecht Hochenzollern, in 1519. But about 1530 Hochenzollern converted to Lutheranism and ordered to destroy the chapel and the statuette, and to cut the Holy Linden. Catholicism was forbidden and the priests were driven away. Going on a pilgrimage to Święta Lipka was forbidden on pain of death. The process of construction of the church, which survived until today, started in the end of the 17 C and was finished in the middle of the 18 C. It was built in baroque style and represents an excellent piece of architecture. Plenty of visistors and pilgrims come here every year. Święta Lipka is situated 6 kilometers from Reszel and 14 kilometers from Kętrzyn. Another attraction of the village is the picturesque Dejnowa lake which makes Święta Lipka also a health resort. In the wood by the road you can see a border stone, with a statuette of Holy Virgin on it, which marked the former border between Poland and Prussia. In summer organ concerts are organized in the church every Friday at eight p.m.
CASTTLE IN RESZEL
THE GOTHIC CASTTLE IN RESZEL
A Gothic castle, the most prominent of all buildings in the town, occupies the place inhabited already in the iron age. The place on the high bank of The Sajna River had offered the perfect location for the Prussian settlements throughout many hundred years before first written documents concerning the area appeared in the 13th century. In 1241 the wooden Teutonic watchtower was mentioned. Around the place the town of Reszel started to grow and in 1337 it received the location right.
The building of the brick castle in Reszel began in around 1350 under the bishop Jan from Miśnia and finished in 1400 by bishop Henryk Sorbom, who raised two-storey outside gallery in the castle courtyard.
The castle was built along with the town walls which stood up in 1372.
The castle is Gothic, built of bricks, set on the square. In 1505 and after, the castle was surrounded by a huge defence wall and a moat. But after Reszel, together with the Catholic province of Warmia, came under the polish rule, the castle ceased to play a defensive role and was converted into the summer residence of Warmian bishops. Until 1772, when Reszel fell under Prusian administration, the castle was a seat of the local governor. In the years 1783-1803 the castle serve as a Prussian prison.
The castle was rebuilt in 1822-23 and some of the defence walls were pulled down. In the second half of the 19th century the roof was repaired. In 1931 the partial restoration of walls and towers was conducted.
The former Lutheran chapel of the castle houses a contemporary art gallery. Among other exhibits, the works originally exhibited at The Contemporary Art Biennial in Venice can be admired. The castle is a venue of the most important cultural event in Reszel - Polish-German Art Days held here every two years. The idea of the festival is to overcome mutual Polish and German prejudices under the charm of the art. Recently the event has been enriched by meetings and debates concerning social, political, and economic matters .In 1999 the well known artists - Jan Berdyszak, Bernd Bodechtel, Krystyna Janda, Jarosław Śmietana and Peter Weiss tooka part as well as a German historian Gerhard Doliesen and Bundesrat member, Guido Dannenberg. The event is also the springboard to an artistic career for young, promising artists from both countries.
At the moment, the sculptures by Bożenna Biskupska ("The Mistery of Time - Persistence"), paintings by Andrzej Foggt ("The Elements - The Elements Frenzy"), painting compositions by Franciszek Starowieyski ("The Pilgrimage to Saint Half-Horse") and Andrzej Majewski ("Persistent Thoughts Obsession") can be seen in the gallery.
The charge for the entry is 3 PLN from an adult, 2 PLN from a child. The gallery is closed on Mondays (although there is a possibility of opening for large groups). On other days the gallery welcomes from 10am to 4 pm (10am - 5pm from May to September). To contact the gallery call 0048-89-7550216.
There is a possibility of staying the night in the castle. There are 12 guest rooms, all with bathrooms, available from 90 PLN a night (a single room) to 130 PLN a night (a double room) and 140 PLN a night (a family room). To book a room call 0048-89-7550109.
Guests are also welcome in the castle's coffee shop.
The castle tower offers interesting sights of The Old Town and the castle surroundings. There are also medieval day-to-day items to be seen on the tower's floors. The entry costs 1 PLN per person.
**Text och nedanstående bilder 'lånade' från internet.
Kossor som intresserade Josef Stark.
Dessa 5 bilder är Ingvar P-bilder.
Detta är bilder som inte finns på konferenssidan. Håll till godo. Till SICAMM. Till Bosse & Gittes sidor.